You may go through below tips which will help you in the planning stage as well as during your travel to Kerala or to South India. This is written to provide a general awareness on the places which can be visited and with the consultation of tour expert, finalization of the itinerary is advised.
Arrival and Departure – For Cochin arrival, code for the airport is COK, railway station is ERN and ERS and for bus Vytila or Ernakulam. For departure, if your last destination is Trivandrum or Kanyakumari book from Trivandrum instead of driving back to Cochin. Same as the case for Calicut. Book from Cochin if your last destination is Cochin, Alleppey or Munnar.
Selection of Vehicle – Select as per the number of people traveling by considering space to keep luggage. Luggage career is not allowed by RTO in Kerala.
Selecting Hotel – Most of the hotels especially in Munnar is away from town, which has a better ambiance. Select between hotels, resorts, homestays as per your likings and consider the distance from town. Changing the hotel after your arrival will waste a lot of time and your holiday mood will be affected. Some hotels do not allow last-minute cancellation too.
Selecting Houseboat – Houseboat is an authentic product of Kerala which is a different experience than staying in a hotel. Keeping in mind that the boat is always in water and the rooms or facilities are not like a hotel makes you to enjoy this better.
Sightseeing – There are a lot of sightseeing spots mentioned in the itinerary as well as extra activities in all the places. I would suggest you to go sightseeing first and use your extra time for activities, which are chargeable. If you go for activities first you may have to miss most of the sightseeing
Complains during the tour – If you find any issue during the tour, make sure the same is reported at the moment to have a solution. If any complaint is raised after the tour a tour operator would not be in a position to help you. If in case of accidents or strikes please cooperate with the agent to sort the issue and to find alternate arrangements. No reputed operator tries to cheat a customer intentionally.
Selecting Destinations – While selecting the places of visit, try to avoid hectic travel and select number of destinations as per the number of days you can spend in Kerala. A detailed guide is as below.
To Select Destinations – Below are the major destinations which can be considered depending on the number of days you plan for the tour. The places are mentioned in the order of travel where you can pick the destinations depending on your interest
Southern Kerala – Travelling from Cochin towards South
- Cochin – Fort Cochin, Marine drive etc
- Athirapilly Vazhachal – Biggest Water falls
- Cherai – Beach
- Munnar – Hill station – Can visit tea gardens and the greenery, Stay for 2 night is advised or more. Rajamala, Neelakurinji prior booking is required at https://eravikulamnationalpark.in/landing/index.php
- Thekkady – Wild life sanctuary – Can go for boating at Periyar (prior booking is advisable) and can go for spice tour, Kathakali, Martial arts, tribal dance etc. If you have 2 night in Thekkady, Trekking can be included.
- Vagamon – This is an upcoming destination which can be included in between Thekkady and Alleppey. Scenic beauty, Paragliding etc
- Alleppey – For Houseboat cruise or to stay in a resort – Beach and backwater
- Kumarakom – For village experience, houseboat, backwaters
- Jadayu Earth Centre – This is a new destination in between Alleppey and Kovalam if you are traveling through MC road. Biggest sculpture of Jadayu is the attraction along with roap car (pre booking is required)
- Kovalam – Kovalam is a beach destination.
- Trivandrum – Capital city of Kerala with Sree Padmanabha swami temple, museum, art gallery etc
- Poovar – 30km from Kovalam. This is the place where sea and backwater meets
- Kanyakumari – Southen tip of India, this is in Tamil Nadu
- Madurai and Rameswaram can also be added where the route should be Cochin – Munnar – Thekkady – Madurai – Rameswaram – Kanyakumari – Kovalam – Alleppey – Cochin
Northern Kerala – Travelling from Cochin towards North or is accessible from Calicut
- Guruvayoor – Sree Krishna temple, Elephant sanctuary
- Wayanad – This is good for honeymoon as well as to have a relaxed holidays for few days.
South India – Coimbatore arrival
- For Coimbatore arrival, Ooty and Kodaikkanal can be added to South Kerala or can visit Ooty- Kodaikkanal and return from Coimbatore.
- Ooty – Coorg – Mysore can also be considered with drop to Bangalore or to Coimbatore
South India – Bangalore arrival
- If arrival is at Bangalore – Bangalore – Mysore – Coorg – Ooty – Coimbatore or Bangalore can be considered
South India – Chennai arrival
- If arrival is at Chennai – Chennai – Pondichery – Tanjavoor – Madurai – Rameswaram – Kanyakumari can be considered
Ratheesh R. Nath
If you like this post, please share!!